13 April 2006

Watching South Park so You Don't Have To

OK, I’ll admit it, I grew tired of South Park a long time ago. However, I felt compelled to watch the “Cartoon Wars” eps, if for no other reason than to see what might kick off a new round of Islamo-silliness (yay riots!). However, as I am sure you already know, no image of Mohammed was shown. Was it Comedy Central or South Park that edited out the image of Mohammed? Based on the tone of the episode, I’d have to say it was Stone and Parker, the creators of South Park, who did the cutting. It seemed in line with the painful point-making of the two part arc – basically, I came away thinking, “Well, they are ticked that Comedy Central isn’t showing a couple of their episodes anymore, aren’t they?” While some may debate my conclusion, I am fairly comfortable with it.

So, in the interest of fairness (I mean, they showed Jesus rather crudely [as usual] in the episode), here is what Mohammed would have looked like, from their fifth season:
Snagged from Wikipedia
And here:
From a Google Image Search

And here is what I think they were upset about getting pulled by Comedy Central:

Lifted from the Jawa Report
Or was it this one:
Another from Wiki


All in all, I found the eps rather tiresome. Nope, I sure won’t be going out of my way to watch more. I got my fill of Cartman, Kyle, Stan, and Kenny a long time ago.

UPDATE: Mea Culpa
It turns out it *was* Comedy Central that did the censoring. Grrr. Pathetic. So apparently, it is true, "Comedy Central has refused to broadcast an image of Mohammed on their network." So will the previously mentioned episode, Super Best Friends, not be shown anymore? And why is it ok to show images of other religious icons, including in THAT SHOW, in an even worse light, such as here, where Jesus defecates on, and is defecated upon by, multiple people?


So, Comedy Central has set the bar - as long as you can bring a credible threat of violence, they will bow to your demands. Way to go, dhimmis.

(H/T Malkin and Captain's Quarters)

2 Comments:

At 4/13/2006, Anonymous Michael Andreyakovich said...

I thought the whole reason they wrote in the Jesus-scat thing at the end was that they already knew Comedy Central wasn't going to let them show Mohammed - getting away with the other, more disgusting piece just points out CC's own hypocrisy.

But fuck Comedy Central anyway. I still haven't forgiven Doug Herzog for canceling Mystery Science Theater 3000 at the peak of its success - it sounds more like something Fox would do.

 
At 4/13/2006, Blogger PigBoatSailor said...

Hypocrisy does abound. Unfortunately, mostly, everyone just shrugs.

But the peak of MST3K's success? Please, it was never the same after Joel left ;-)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home