17 February 2006

New Recruiting Scheme for Sub Dept. Heads?

This may just be scuttlebutt, however I have heard it from two different sources now, so here it is:

For those of you still in or recently out of the sub fleet, recall the two options for officers after their initial commitment is up:
-They can stay in without committing to any period of time, and get a reasonable nuke bonus (rent-a-nuke), or;
-They can sign a multi-year (and lucrative) contract to remain in the Navy for at least another three years (buy-a-nuke).

The Buy-a-Nuke option is very tempting because of the money involved.  However, because it was three years, it meant the JO signing the contract was committed to one of two options:
-Serve a two year shore tour, then a one year “Super JO” tour as a JO on a soon-to-deploy boat or a kinda-Department Head on a shipyard boat, or;
-Serve a two-year shore tour, and then go to Sub. Officer’s Advanced Course, and agree to another multi-year deal to be a full-on Department Head.

Well, it seems as if that Super-JO option has gone away.  As I said, I have heard from two different sources now that if you have signed a contract, you will either go to SOAC, or, buh-bye, off to Afghanistan or Iraq.  What do they use Submariners for on the ground?  I could not say, the guys I know all changed their plans and went to SOAC.  I guess there is still a manpower crunch on the ground in the GWOT.  However, I have to worry about the quality of DH’s we are going to get by essentially pressing them into SOAC under the threat of being ground-pounders instead.

Myself – Helk, I probably would have gone to Iraq.  I am feeling rather useless in the immediate scheme of things as it is…  Yeah yeah, big talk for an IRR guy, I know.

4 Comments:

At 2/21/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a fact. The guys go to Iraw or Afghanistan to do misc. admin support jobs. Absolutely true. From a Pentagon source.

 
At 2/22/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's an LT at my command now who had orders to be a super JO, but they just got CANX'd and now he's going to Iraq next month to do admin type stuff. I guess he's going to give PowerPoint briefs and the like. And he just had a kid a couple months ago...not going to see her for awhile.

 
At 2/24/2006, Blogger PigBoatSailor said...

Sheesh - seeing as how I had my daughter while on JO shore tour, I am glad I rented my nukiness and didn't let them buy, or I would be in the same boat.

The sad thing here is - They need PowerPoint Rangers in Iraq?!?

 
At 5/03/2006, Blogger Chap said...

The IA detailer told me a year ago that the clearance we hold is valuable and rare for him to get. I got that idea confirmed by other folks this week: if you already have an SSBI, you are useful.

I know of at least three LTs on superJO tours right now; at least one guy has been there less than a year.

The best way to avoid an IA, apparently, is to volunteer--at least that's how it turned out in my case, unfortunately.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home