14 February 2006

Knocking the Wind Outta My Sails

My father is a physician, and as many physicians, feels that his opinion is more important than other people’s should be given a certain weight. He called me this morning to let me know that he just finished a grand rounds session on autistic spectrum disorders. Based on what he heard, and the time he has spent with my family, he thinks my second son, mini-PBS V2.0 Mod 2, should get screened. Not that he thinks he has any severe issues, for, obviously, those would already have been noticed, but for “developmental gaps” he thinks may be an issue.

My second son is quiet, true, he doesn’t talk nearly as much as his more ebullient older brother did at this age. In fact, he talks about as frequently as his little sister. But I think that when he talks he is relatively clear about it – he used to have a bit of a pronunciation problem (for which we had hearing screenings done – and the professional-types told us he was perfectly normal in hearing and speech development, no worries). He enjoys playing by himself as much as with his siblings, whereas the other two hate solo-play. But autism?

I think I shall go throw up now, and not mention this to Mrs. PBS until well after mod 4 is born. Ooof.

2 Comments:

At 2/14/2006, Blogger bothenook said...

it's really important to get that screening done asap. the earlier they figure out problems, the earlier you can impliment fixes. my grandson is autistic, and was screened at something like 20 months old. they've done some great things with him since. he's just had his 5th birthday, and it's amazing to see his progress from the "worst case scenario" the docs gave us at the time

 
At 2/15/2006, Blogger PigBoatSailor said...

bo-

I know. It is just hard for me to believe that it is necessary at all - the lad is four already. He is, well, definitely his own person, but nothing that I would call outside a standard deviation from the norm.

I don't know - I think I am still dwelling in denial. After I chill out and consider it rationally I will probably do just that.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home