14 October 2005

The Navy Cracks Down

Well, my days of checking sublogs and posting during my lunch break are over.  When I attempted to access the hotmail account that I use to administer The Discomfort of Thought I found it blocked via NMCI.  The reasoning is laid out below:


Per DON CIO WASHINGTON DC msg DTG 161108Z JUL 05:
...
3. IN ACCORDANCE WITH REF B, GOVERNMENT PROVIDED OR FUNDED INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS ARE FOR OFFICIAL USE AND

AUTHORIZED PURPOSES ONLY. AUTHORIZED PURPOSES MAY INCLUDE LIMITED PERSONAL USE WHEN PERMITTED BY COMMANDING OFFICERS AND SUPERVISORS, WITHIN THE LIMITATIONS SET FORTH IN REF B. ONE OF THE LIMITATIONS IDENTIFIED BY REF B IS THAT THE INFORMATION OR COMMUNICATION SYSTEM NOT BE OVERBURDENED AND NO SIGNIFICANT ADDITIONAL COST TO DOD BE INCURRED.

4. IN ORDER TO ENSURE THE INTEGRITY, PROTECTION, AND SECURITY OF DON SYSTEMS AND EQUIPMENT, USERS SHALL NOT:
...
C. ACCESS PERSONAL COMMERCIAL WEB BASED EMAIL FROM NAVAL NETWORKS (E.G., HOTMAIL, YAHOO, ETC.) WITHOUT APPROVAL FROM THE DESIGNATED APPROVAL AUTHORITY (DAA);


And from the NMCI user acknowledgement form:
I am aware authorized purposes may include limited personal use when permitted by Commanding Officers (also known as Local IA authority), within the limitations set forth in DoD 5500.7R, Joint Ethics Regulation.

...
To ensure the integrity, safety, and security of Navy IT resources, and to comply with applicable regulations when using government – provided IT services or systems, I will NOT:

a.      Use commercial web based email (e.g. Hotmail, Yahoo!, Google, etc.) for official business.
b.      Access commercial web based email (e.g. Hotmail, Yahoo!, Google, etc.) for personal use without prior written approval from the Navy Operational DAA.

...
i.      Download files not needed for official use unless specifically authorized by my IAM.  If in doubt, I will first consult with my IAM.

...
l.      Engage in spamming, unauthorized chatting, unauthorized file sharing, gambling, wagering, hacking, or posting of personal home pages.


And from DoD 5500.7-R:
2-301    Use of Federal Government  Resources
a.      Communication Systems.  See GSA regulation 41 C.F.R. Subpart 201 21.6 (reference (h)) on use of Federal Government telephone systems.  Federal Government communication systems and equipment (including Government owned telephones, facsimile machines, electronic mail,  internet systems, and commercial systems when use is paid for by the Federal Government) shall be for official use and authorized purposes only.


And finally, from the aforementioned GSA regulation, which really only applies to phone calls, but whose guidance is being assumed to include all IT resources:

201-21.601   Authorized use of long distance telephone services.
...
(d)  Procedures.  Official business calls may include emergency calls and other calls the agency determines are necessary in the interest of the Government.  FIRMR Bulletin C-13 provides examples of calls that may be considered necessary in the interest of the Government.

         (1)  Telephone calls may properly be authorized when they:
              (i)  Do not adversely affect the performance of official duties by the employee or the employee's organization;

              (ii)  Are of reasonable duration and frequency; and
              (iii)  Could not reasonably have been made at another time; or
              (iv)  Are provided for in a collective bargaining agreement that is consistent with these regulations.

Now, the unions had negotiated to allow workers to use their computers for non-government business during their lunch breaks, so we had been directed not to sign the user acknowledgement form until it was more clear.  However, Navy IT appears to have assumed that webmail does not fall under the collective bargaining agreement.  Additionally, the Blogger toolbar has disappeared from Word (the way I normally post - spell check is a must for me).  The Blogspot domain is not yet blocked, but I cannot imagine that it will remain so.  As most of my posting is a lunchtime affair, as when I am home I play with my kids as much as possible, I am afraid my posting density will decrease.  However, I have a long post worked up that follows CDR Salamander's and Chap's posts on growing a modern Navy, so I will try and post that tonight.  As the Navy has clearly decided to crack down, however, I will make this my last post from work.  Besides, emailing my post in (as I am now), could also be construed as not in accordance with instruction.  So, as I like my job, I am going to fail safe.

1 Comments:

At 11/21/2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home